High Line Bobby S Signature
Our statement for a compact horn loudspeaker is the High Line “Bobby” S Signature.
Each detail has been optimized for the highest quality and guarantees a sine wave power handling capacity of up to 95 watts.
The Bobby S can be configured as a modular system, if you link it with the bass extension you get a Bobby M. If that is not enough, you can link another bass extension with the Bobby M and get a Bobby L.
- the colors of the horn and housing can be customized
- SPL 88 dB
- Impedanz 4 Ohm
- Frequency Range: 45 Hz – 24800 Hz
- Crossover Frequency: 2400 Hz, 6/12 dB
- Dimensions: height 395mm, width front 230mm, width rear 280mm, depth 290mm
- Weight: 13,5 Kg netto each
The basic idea of the Bobby S loudspeaker Signature was to build a coherent and relaxed sounding loudspeaker with an excellent impulse response.
For the high frequencies we have been choosing horns as they allow a perfect adaption of the diaphragm movement to the air
We found that this significantly increases low level information, compared to a speaker moving the air directly.
The idea here was not to increase the efficiency by using compression drivers.
For our taste this often tends to result in a somewhat thin and harsh sound. Many years of development have been spent into the perfect matching between horns and drivers, to achieve maximum finesse of sound. An excellent frequency response, linear phase and perfect transient response for us are essential basics to create a good sounding speaker.
The bass speaker is a 6” speaker with a carbon coated natural fiber cone, and extremely little mechanical losses.
As a tweeter we use a horn loaded silk dome tweeter, which is also carbon coated.
The diaphragms of the bass and the tweeter are also both treated with SteinMusic Maestro lacquer
This treatment gives both a very natural sonic signature, which is equal all over the entire frequency range that the Bobby S is able to reproduce.
We source those drivers from one of the best manufacturers, and besides the cone treatments we further modify and optimize them in many aspects to reduce mechanical losses and get an open sound with lots of detail and no colorations.
The bass speakers in detail:
- Vented cast aluminum chassis for optimum strength and low compression
- Proprietary cone material with natural fibers
- Soft low damping rubber surround for transient response
- Non-conducting fiber glass voice coil former for minimum damping
- Extended copper sleeve on pole piece for low inductance and low distortion
- CCAW voice coil for reduced moving mass
- Long life silver lead wires
- Vented pole piece for reduced compression
The tweeter in detail:
- Copper cap for reduced voice coil inductance and minimum phase shift
- Non-reflective rear chamber with optimized damping for improved dynamics
- Flow optimized vented pole piece for optimum coupling to rear chamber
- Fine weave soft fabric dome for smooth frequency response
- Saturation controlled motor system for low distortion
- CCAW voice coil for low moving mass
- Long life silver lead wires
- Low resonance frequency
The internal wiring is made of the finest solid core copper conductors
The diameter for the bass is 1mm, for the tweeter we use exactly the same style of conductors but decreased the diameter to 0,5mm.
The result is a better resolution of the higher frequencies, maintaining a coherent overall reproduction.
Before designing a crossover we have carefully matched and adjusted the drivers so that we may get best results with a simple configuration here, which ensures no detail of the music will get lost in this part of the speaker.
The housing is a vented box with short tubes in the front behind the high range horn.
It is wider in the back than in the front in an exactly defined ratio that we empirically found out to be the best solution here. One important aspect of this construction is that we will not have standing waves between the side walls.
Another is that in combination with the 40mm thick back wall it gives the housings an enormous stability against unwanted housing resonances.
This allows us to work completely without any internal dampening material, which does not only absorb unwanted resonances but also always sucks out energy from the music.
The Bobby S are equipped with solid walnut feet for a transparent but organic sound.
Two pairs of speaker terminals at the Bobby S speakers allow the use in bi-wiring or bi-amping.
The choice of speaker terminals was a result of long listening tests of different models.
We finally decided for a sturdy version that allows the use of banana plugs or spades.
At the terminal plate, you find two toggle switches where the character and volume of the high frequencies may be set, depending on the positioning and characteristics of the listening room and personal preferences.
All drivers, crossover components, terminals and cables are processed with a special in house developed technology reduce material stress, and so increase the conductivity for complex signals.
Also we use the SteinMusic InLine Silver devices in the crossover to avoid magnetic distortions.